Monday, June 22, 2009

Owen's IMC








It's hard to review what went down this past week, it flew by in such a blur. We started with a crit on the sketch with Boris Vallejo and Scott Fischer. This stage was the most revised part of the piece. I tilted the entire drawing, to emphasize the diagonals, got rid of the second tower in the background and made the city a bit further into the distance. I did a lot of erasing. Next came the background and sky, realized the clouds were to bright and didn't look convincing, so I darkened those and started on the building. The shadows of the building would not nearly have been so convincing if I had not made a tiny model. After laying in the building for 2 days or so, there weren't many things being said by the faculty, mostly just "looks great" or "keep going". Dan Dos Santos pushed me to lay in the figure soon, because thats something that they could help me with. So once the building was layed in, I started on the skin tones. I kept it fairly loose, just laying in darks and highlights, then blending the colors together. The next day, saturday, as I was laying in the outfit of the wizard, Donato came by and showed me how to make a nice worn, weathered look to the castle. Glazing down a warm tone with a lot of medium, then putting some cadmium orange in the areas wear water would pool. This little detail added a whole new life to my painting. By the sunday morning at about 3:30 am the surface of painting was completely filled in.
This was an absolutely amazing experience. One of the best weeks of my life, and it was spent working day and night.

No comments:

Post a Comment