Saturday, November 13, 2010

Becca's Egypt Sketch


Hi there! Well, it's been a while! I've been back from Egypt for a couple of weeks now, and am going through the somewhat painful process of getting back into the groove of working. This is my sketch for the Egypt-inspired piece. It's a scene of a mother and child on the banks of the Nile in Luxor. The mother is putting an amulet around the child's neck to protect him. Children were considered very precious, and often had amulets tied to their wrists and ankles as well. This child is holding a toy and is accompanied by his dog (oddly enough, modern day Egyptians tend not to have dogs as pets, but it was common in ancient times). The sketch is pretty rough right now - I pieced it together in Photoshop, and I still have a good deal of designing and refining to do, but let me know what you think so far!

3 comments:

  1. This is going to be great!!! Lots of good Egyptness going on :P You say its just a sketch so I know the things that I see that need corrected will probably be corrected... just anatomical stuff like her shoulder/clavicle area and the kids neck, and make sure her eyes are definitely looking at him. But that's probably all stuff you were going to work on anyway :P So yeah!!! I like!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i think lis covered it, also the dogs ears and the boys elbow are making a tangent, also the jaw of the dog and the boys skirt thing. looks like a nice idea you got going there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Yeah, I was working mostly without reference until now, so I'll definitely be shooting some and fixing the anatomical stuff :) But it never hurts to be reminded of what's not working, and I totally missed those tangents, so thanks for pointing those out too!

    ReplyDelete